Friday, June 13, 2014

Bamboo Father's Day

I don't know about you but I feel that my family is the hardest to please... which has really worked to my advantage in that it always made me do my best.  And my dad is not a sentimental person but I made this card for him - I think the bamboo will really appeal to his Chinese heritage.  It has lots of meaning - usually peace, tranquility, home, long life... 

I started with a bamboo stencil and used embossing paste make my bamboo scene. It's a 6x6 stencil and though my panel is much smaller, I did the whole thing because I wasn't sure which section I was going to use.  After the paste dried, I replaced the stencil and sponged over with Mowed Lawn.  Then I moved one of my smaller A2 Matting Basic die around the stencil until I got just the right window of bamboo.  This was much better than my old way of just cutting off the edges until I got it right - this way I had a clean leftover portion for another purpose.  I sponged the edges carefully with Sage Shadow and I love the unexpected effect of the white shadowing due to the raised stencil.  I handcut some bamboo (not hard - just try cutting some crooked capital I!) and leaves. The branched leaves are SU Little Leaves thinned a bit to resemble bamboo leaves.  I had started with two stems of bamboo but decided one look better - 



Diana Nguyen, Verve, Strong Anchor, Scripture, stencil, bamboo

- and used the other on the inside of the card!  I also added this verse to the inside.  Thanks so much for looking! 

Diana Nguyen, Verve, Strong Anchor, Scripture, stencil, bamboo



Recipe:
Dies:  Spellbinders A2 Matting Basic, SU Little Leaves
Ink: Tim Holtz Mowed Lawn, SU Sage Shadow, Versafine onyx black
Accessories:  The Crafter's Workshop  Bamboo Stencil, Dreamweaver's white embossing paste

Challenges I am Playing In:



7 comments:

  1. This is such a cool card! Very eye catching! Thanks for joining us for this week's Classy Cards 'n Such challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving that bamboo! Great card. Thanks for joining us for this month's Diva Dare.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous card, stunning technique, it's very inspiring, oh, and I know where you come from, my family is also hard to please.

    Love and warm hugs
    Maarit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your card is absolutely gorgeous Diana, so elegant, I'm sure your dad will love it.
    Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
    hugs
    Mandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is stunning! Love the embossed bamboo and then the single cut stem...gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so fantastic. I'm so inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. bamboo toothbrush

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a message!